TO TRAVEL TO CUBA…
TO NOT TRAVEL TO CUBA.
THAT HAS BEEN THE LONG STANDING QUESTION IN MY MIND EVER SINCE OBAMA RESTORED DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS, BUT TRY TO DECIPHER ALL THE LEGAL LANGUAGE HAS BEEN BLOWING MY MIND!
Bless you CNN for decoding all the legal mumbo jumbo that is the Cuba travel laws! Now that I have read what the American travel rights are, I am confident I should travel to Cuba. Read the full article here for many more travel tips to Cuba!
To briefly sum up what Maria Sofferin wrote for CNN , travel to Cuba is allowed if you fall into one of these categories:
• Visiting family
• Humanitarian projects or to provide support to the Cuban people
• Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments and certain intergovernmental organizations
• Journalistic activities
• Professional research
• Educational activities by persons at academic institutions
• People to people travel
• Religious activities
• Public performance, clinics, workshops, athletic or other competitions and exhibitions
• Authorization to provide travel services, carrier services and remittance forwarding services
• Activities of private foundations, research or educational institutes
• Exportation of certain Internet-based services
THE BIG QUESTION IS THIS, HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU QUALIFY TO FIT INTO ANY OF THESE CATEGORIES TO TRAVEL TO CUBA? SIMPLE! YOU QUALIFY YOURSELF!
The traveler categories are self-authorizing.
What was once a formal application system has essentially been converted into an honor system whereby you conclude whether you meet the categorical criteria. Maria Sofferin // CNN
How incredibly genius is that? So basically, since I am a travel blogger and freelance writer I qualify to travel to Cuba under the “journalistic” category and would totally be in the clear. Wow! Now, what that doesn’t mean is that you are free to lounge on the beach all day getting to know the local’s favorite liquor or so they say. How can you be spotted out of the thousands of Canadians and Europeans sun bathing on the beach and be fined or worse?
Doesn’t make sense to me!
BUT SIMPLY SPEAKING, IF YOU CAN FIT YOURSELF INTO ANY OF THE 12 LISTED CATEGORIES YOU ARE SELF-PROCLAIMED ALLOWED TO TRAVEL TO CUBA ANYTIME YOU WANT.
So apply for your tourist Visa, pay the $25, wait 4 weeks for it to arrive and BOOM off to Cuba you go!
AND DON’T FORGET TO CALL UNITED MILITARY TRAVEL FOR ALL YOUR TRAVEL NEEDS! TRAVEL TO CUBA NOW THROUGH UMT!